What can one talk about the word “Branch”? Well, there are infinite ways to speak of it. To think of it as a symbolic representation, a word, or a collection of letters is also completely valid, and is a point in fact, true in its own sense.
When it comes to meaning, it does give out various contexts. However, not all websites mention all the same information. Few of them would give out a limited and common terms. On the other hand, there are other websites that give out higher volume of data. Here are some of the few websites giving out information of varying degree:
- Oxford Dictionary
- Cambridge Dictionary
- The Free Dictionary
- Urban Dictionary
In very similar patterns of the meaning given above, I would like to present to you some of the few of the infinite areas of where the term “Branch” is used. Everyone knows where this term is employed, whether verbal, written, symbol, or in silence. But anyway, here it goes:
The most common place to look for a branch is to watch trees with lots of branches spread out from its base. We all watch trees almost everyday. (except those living in areas where trees do not grow at all) But the vast majority of people know for the fact that all trees have branches. Even the roots of trees are branched. What more could you possibly think of? Even the leaves and the flowers that grow have are branched to distribute energy across the tree. Petals grow out from the base of the flower, which itself is like branching out life.
Making a choice from different options
Everyone makes choices from all the options we have. We all prioritise different things, based on the situations given to us. Whenever we make a choice, we branch out to seek answers/solutions for a given situation/condition/problem. Every time we make a choice, we do our best to reach the end of a goal. If there are more options given in-between, we make another choice and move ahead. But we always come back to selecting another choice from a given set of options. Although this is part of circling back, it can still be stated as part of branching off from the main stem of options.
These, literally, are some of the most complex part to study. A brain functions differently with regard to the diverse species that exist. We know there are billions of neurons that give out signals through the nervous system, both inside and outside of the human brain. Nerves connect different neurons together so that the signalling is efficient throughout the body. These are nothing but a complex structure of a branching system.
We speak of blood circulation throughout the body. But what good would it be if there was only one single artery/vein that carried oxygen to all the cells? Organs that remain farther away would receive less oxygen supply. Hence, we have branches within our arteries/veins, where all the nutrients required are sent through the arteries, and the unwanted or rejected part is sent back through the veins. As the arteries reach closer to various organs, the blood cells exit from the main artery and move into arterioles.
If we have to consider solar systems containing branches, we need to understand the fact that all planets around a star system act according to its gravity and distance. If we are to construct a model of any star system, we observe that the planets revolve around the star. We also find that the natural satellites of planets revolve around these planets. If we draw imaginary lines from the star to the planets, and those from the planets to its satellites, we observe that there exists a system of branching within the star system. There could be a variance between the structure of branching that is based on the number of stars within a star system, as well as how the planets and its satellites revolve around them.
We learn different fields of study, by learning and understanding them closely to benefit our needs and as per our requirements. Once we gain enough knowledge, we decide whether to delve deeper into a specific field of study. (e.g. deciding between arts, commerce, science, etc.) After choosing a specific path, we jump into further studies within a specific field. (e.g. Biology, Mathematics, Psychology, Literature, Economics, Finance, Drama, etc.) These are nothing but the choices we make in our lives. To specialise, or professionalise ourselves in a small spectrum of life; to bring out something new from the existing knowledge of our understanding. Isn’t this also part of what we can call it as consisting of branches?
Non-linear gaming session
In today’s world of video games, we come across non-linear games that provide us to choose our own missions and objectives. A role-playing game allows us to act based on our own choices. Simulations grant us the freedom to construct objects in almost-infinite ways. Strategy games allow us to build up different strategies, based on what kind of games they are. Decision-making in digital board games allow us the freedom to make our own choices giving us varying results that lead to re-playability. These are all systems that have branches where we choose what and how we want to play, and progress in the game to reach a certain goal.
Consider it as options, or games, where we make our own choices through different senses. And through our various filters of perception, we act after making our choice to get a particular result. Some of them might be uncertain, while others would work out as per our expectations. Walking, running, or any sports activity are part of the multi-tiered branching areas where we choose where we want to get better. Even in matters of food, we make our own decisions, experiment with the choices in preparing our own food, that in the end, we find them to satisfy our own experiences. Whether to eat unhealthy or healthy foods is also part of making a choice, and take the branch of deciding where you want to go next. Although we can hop from one branch to the other, we select only one of the choices at any given particular time. Whether to read, write, perform an activity, socialise, meditate, chat, drink, eat, walk a pet, travel, or do anything, is to do one thing alone. And these are just the branches in the story of our life we take.
Whenever you look at anything, it is what you desire to see, based on how you feel. If you feel good, you’re bound to see the good in the world around you. A depressed individual might consider it the other way around. Our eyes focus on our surroundings and the environment around us. With objects and people around us, they change our perspective of the world we perceive. And, so do we. When we look around, we perceive things based on what we feel. However, if we are to suppress our feelings, only to consider and accept what we see as it is, there is nothing left to judge upon. Anaïs Nin quotes it well to mention “We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.” And to be non-judgemental, we only have to see what we see. Whether it is good or bad, beautiful or ugly, bright or dark, isn’t a way to accept what it is. That is part of making a judgement over what we perceive, based on our memories and experiences. And when we simply accept what our eyes perceive, it is the blissful peace of living in the present, with nothing but to enjoy what our surrounding environment is composed of. Hence, whenever we see things, we choose how things are around us. And these are those branches that we select to live with during our waking times.
Source of light/heat/sound/smell
The various elements that make up our surroundings, our environment, is a vast source of energy. Energy is transferred through a medium. Light travels through vacuum and air. Sound can travel as radio waves. Heat can be felt, just by getting close to its source, or in direct contact. And smell drifts through air as we breathe. If we consider these sources to be the origin, we get that these four elements of nature move in all possible directions, based on their environmental conditions they are subject to. As long as they are allowed to move freely in a given area, the medium attracts the source, and passes it out without any destination. Hence, we have light travelling farther away. Heat spreads as much as possible, only to intensify further inside until the energy is spread wide. Sound attempts to spread out, unless it is bounced and echoed back from varying objects. And smell lingers long enough until it gets diluted away in the surrounding air. If we map all these directions initiating from the source, we get to see a new set of branches that give out a whole new perspective in how science works in each of the given set of the elements.
Our universe is the effect of a big bang that occurred long back. That’s what science tells us. We see the creation of the universe by understanding it. But do we even know what’s outside of it? Whether it would be different universes, or parallel universes, or multi-universes, I have no say in it. Science is only a compilation of theory and practise, claims and analogies, about the rationals and logic. Mysticism may be beyond science, in what is claimed by some of the people who believe in different levels of thinking. Nonetheless, they are all made of human thought, based on the minds of people. However, if we are to consider that the vast galaxies are part of the this universe, and that the cluster of star systems are meant to be part of that galaxy, we can also state that the dark matter, containing a particular substance unknown to us, connects all galaxies to make it a part of the universe. Also, we do have certain theories about wormholes and black holes, which in itself is part of another dimension to study upon. Through logic and rational thinking, man has been able to deduce through theory that these holes are large teleportation devices that might allow faster-than-light (FTL) travel, or even make a jump into a different place within the universe. What if there’s a different dimension where these wormholes and black holes become part of something bigger, something that hasn’t yet been discovered or thought upon. If we are all connected through space in such a manner within a mesh-like object, it is well-understood that each connection leads us to a different place altogether, and a map of the universe can easily be then crafted. Isn’t all of this mesh all but a set of branches that brings together one massive universe together?
We walk along different kinds of roads and paths everyday. Even while we are at home, we make a path leading towards the living room, bedroom, or even the restrooms. In the same way, when outside, we use a similar system to locate an address, or explore the world around us. We go on a shopping spree, travel about, meet up with family and friends and enjoy our time together. Traffic on the other hand, has a similar protocol that follows streets, avenues and highways that give directions for vehicles to drive to any given location. Even ships and flights follow certain rules to reach their destination. If we have all of these around us, it is possible to know where we are heading. These are the structural parts of the entire transport system, and we follow them daily. This structure is nothing but the branching of streets from avenues, avenues from highways, and the linking of different roads that create a whole network of branches connected to create a transport system on a gigantic scale at the global level.
Everything advances through time. And with it, the progress of advancement is further achieved at a quicker pace. Through the breakthroughs that occurred using various concepts that were introduced, humans have been the most aggressive species to have advanced themselves to adapt against the forces of nature. Agriculture, paper, mining, trade, biology, chemistry, mathematics, social science, and other backgrounds developed and evolved. And these individual fields progressed towards advanced techniques that have led us to genetics, finance, artificial satellites, governance, and other areas. If we are to consider these specialisations as part of an advanced concept of the basic ones, we can also come to certain advancements where new technologies have been founded with the application of two different technologies. (e.g. Biotechnology, bioinformatics, artificial intelligence, security systems, neural networks, etc.) If we have to connect all these, we come up with a giant mesh that grants us the know-how on the technological progress of human civilisation. These are the branches on which mankind has set its path to reach until now. Obviously, there will be other branches and new technologies coming up with time, but the mesh of this technological breakthrough will only grow larger in size.
Concepts are formed from individual thinking through ideas gained and recreated by the reverse-engineering and then engineering new, creative ideas that lead people to new things. In our day-to-day lives, we think of many different things, experience various events, and learn new ways to achieve things. It is in the back of our minds, or rather our brain, that we process all of this information to break up all of the gained information, and recreate new theories and concepts that would be associated with the person. The idea is simply put up in his surroundings through any medium of communication. This absorption of concept gives rise to the strength of the theory itself to become stronger and stronger in time as it gains more and more followers. When a certain level is reached, the theory is applied for a common cause over the general population. These abstract concepts are the seeds to a growing tree of followers. And as this tree of followers grow, it strengthens its foundations to make a stand against those who believe it otherwise.
Disclaimer: The above mentioned is only what I believe is to the best of my knowledge, and is completely my opinion. The information might not be completely true and is only a part of my understanding upon the topic of concern.
Refer to several similar entries of the same daily prompt:
- Divisibly Divided – LFLOP
- Cruising Like SunShyne – LFLOP
- Daily Writing Prompt – 6 Mar 18 – Fox Fresh
- Branch – The Inkwell
- Musin’ With SusanLargest Banyan Tree in the U.S.
- Recess – Leigha Robbins
- pt. #14 ~ Out on a Limb!! – What if We all Cared?
- Invisible Line – Sassycook
- Coexistence – Bedoor Bluemoon
- Branching Out – aroused
- The Branches That Follow – Up the Down Turn
- A Waterway, a Branch – Art Practitioner
- BRANCH – Nano Stories
- Mean girls – Musings
- Branch – Sorry, It’s Just Me
- Out of My Write MindNatural Rendering
- Rooting – The Chaos Within
- My Therapist Said… – KerDoodle Village
- Peotry – Explored by Mafaza
- Playlist talk – SweetHandlettering!
- Tree Lover – Debbie Gravett
- Photography – Trees and Leaves – Quaint Revival
- Island Vibes… – Nomadchasingwaterfalls
- My Xeriscape – Ink Soaked Soul – Megha Bhartiya
- The courage to plant a garden – Litera Universum
- Love Coach Laura HarjuBig Love
- THE SKIN I LIVE IN – pensiveformuggles
- Clinging – By Sarah
- Pandanus – By Sarah
- Viscosity – By Sarah
- Daniel’s New Shoes – Mistyroads
- Leaves, Trees and Branch – bushboys world
- Blossom branches |
- branch + spring + new life – tuckedintoacorner
- Sprinkle Magic – Debbie Gravett
- Grammar with GlamourBranches on the Tree of Humanity
- Venice’s Underwater Forest – Stepping Behind the Glass
- Kerdy Time! – KerDoodle Village
- a cooking pot and twisted talesBranches…
- Indonesia SouvenirsBara Sangihe Sword
- XingfuMamaSpring is in the trees
- Ink PathsVine-Connected Branch
- Red’s WrapIt Was Here
- What might happen? – G Started To Paint!
- Branch – grastogi123
- Shreya ShahFamily Tree – Bond of Love
- Walk with GodHow Far From The Vine
- Scott Andrew BaileyBird on a Branch
- Boldly Go – Word Filled Woman
- The Last of the Photo Albums – Walk the Goats
- It’s Okay To Grow Slowly • sarishboo
- WHAT WE SEE DEPENDS ON WHAT WE LOOK FOR – Words We Women Write
- Passion is Call – moment teller
- Chasing Thoughts And View PointsHow Many Branches Does Your Life Hold?
- Sascha Darlington’s Microcosm ExploredHyacinth Under Ice
- yi-ching lin photographylost and found
- Impractical AdviceBranching out in Inline Styling: Boxes! and Tables!
- ProsceniumThree for One – DWP (Branch)
- What is Dead is Alive – One Stone Away…
- Branch – Stone Soup & Daily Bread
- Daily Prompts: Branch – Netdancer’s Musings
- Life On The Skinny BranchesLift Off
- Your News to Choose – LFLOP
- How Many Branches Are There? – Rudy’s Ruminations
- orientation: new job; day 1 – Karyn’s Domain
- Prompts – The Daily Post. “BRANCH” – Papaya Darling
- Out On A Limb – The Long and Short Stories of Life
- my first long exposure photo – Full Frame Images
- The Re-FarmerSnowfall Fallout
- Branch – Sgeoil
- Fractals and PostScript – Kristen Ankiewicz
- Bitcoin under $11,000 again; Ripple under 92 cents – Word Play … Poetry in Progress
- Healed of Cancer. Angela McCauleyRed Berries for the Thrush
- The View From My WindowThe Awakening
- The Smartest In Your Group? Here’s What To Do… – Success Strategies
- The Hockey Mom Fit LifeBack To The ER
- Did not see that coming [A ten word story] – Welcome to my world.
- Curious HartFinding Structure in the Branches
- Apple Pie and NapalmBranch
- Branching is for us and trees! – Our Safe Haven!!!
- A Fruitless Branch – Help from Heaven
- Outside – I am a paradox.
- What Rhymes with Stanza?Bent Out of Shape
- causeless happiness… – And so it goes…
- Vision of a Branch – Reflections Of a Rambler
- Bird on a Branch – thehouseofbailey
- The Home Of DJ Sung Mo KooLeveling Up Is The New Down
- Typical Villians – JJ’s Reviews and How Tos
- Reaching out – Viola’s Daily Musings
- Notes to WomenThe Dance
- The Trump/Russia Tree – A lot from Lydia
- XingfuMamaBranches…and clouds
- branch – Seventeen Syllable Poetry
- Frank PremWillow Nine Tails
- Frank Prema king of trees learns to dance
- Frank Premaxeman: a way to the (wooden) heart
- Night Owl PoetryThe Branch ~ #poetry of #spring
- They’re EVERYWHERE!!!! – I’m a Writer, Yes, I Am!
- The hanging tree – Zombie Ministry
- Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge: Leaves or Trees – Cee’s Photography – Progressing into Solitude
- It’s All in Finding the Right WordsBranching Out- Astronomy
- Branch (Out) – karavantravels
- Branching Out – Actualizing Spirit
- Branches of a Bush Provide the Base for Ice Artistry – The Penny Mason Post
- To Wear A Rainbowlike the sun
- Po’ Girl ShinesClinging Desperately to Any Branch of my Family Tree
- Twenty Fourbranch
- CopyCat Cafe: It Wasn’t Me! – Redux Of Rex
- Roots and Branches – One day at a time
- Today is Not My Tomorrow – a Poem (with an uplifting music video and lyrics) – My Loud Bipolar Whispers
- I Am Still Standing Tall – Love, Teal, & Pink
- My heart’s manual – SweetHandlettering!
- Wolff PoetryPoetry: Because Love Doesn’t Heal Everything
- buttons-n-thingsMore than just a name on the family tree
- Vickie BThe Missing Branch of the Family Tree
- The right position – Word Play … Poetry in Progress
- The Aging Process – tlynnhaney
- Avram’s Tea – Rena Arun
- How to Create a Support System that Works for You – Pearls Global Impact
- The Struggle..
- A twig called human – My Life Is My Making
- In the Shadows We See More Illusions – Chronicles Of Novonay
- In the Shadows We See More Illusions – Jupiter Vibez
- Just Me And My MusicSomeone To Love
- This one is for you! – Emotions That Matter.
- A Hidden FoReSt : BrAnCh – FeelPurple
- Branch the Cat – Celestial~Ways
- Who Let the Apes Out? – travel387
- Hiking leader – cjinlv
- stasis – jotNrot
- Called Out and Covered – Stew Rd.
- Musings of a Random MindTo Kimay: In Memoriam
- If Family Matters, Who is in your Family? – Mojito With a Twist!
- Mostly True Stories of K. Renae P.Biography Sketch: Mary Wollstonecraft
- Miss Pelican’s PerchBranching Out with My Prismacolors
- Earthly BrainLiving with OCD; the thoughts
- Are You A Fruit-Bearing Branch? – True Christian Bible Study
- Wind can be dangerous – whatiknow766231030
- spinster patty
- Book Review of Crazy Like a Fox by Rita Mae Brown – Mystery Book Reviews by Penny Mason
- Guilt-stricken trunk – Some epiphanies
- Branching Out, Branching In – Neo-Hellenic
- Energy branches out from White House – THE MAIN AISLE – 2018
- Na’ama YehudaBranch Out
- Charron’s Chatterthe Poet trees
- The Tree! – The aspiring, we
- Branch – The Bag Lady
- StopdraggingthepandaTree (woman with stroller)- 2
- A Diamond Branch – Butterfly Dance
- Dying branches
- Branching Out – Curious Steph
- mylocalwebour freedom
- mylocalwebour freedom
- Poetry Prompt: Olive Branch – MellowD
- the kid.. – Life After Fifty
- We are Branches – Grammy Writes
- The Jewel of Lombardy – Journeys of Len
- Branchie streams – Oh, border!
- Branch – existicles
- Branch – Daily Prompt – Ladyleemanila
- Wither – A Curious Hermit
- Branch – Rhetoric Askew
- Your Giving Tree – shllyn
- Branch – Covert Novelist
- juantetctsDaily Post/Branch
- Life isn’t a dress rehearsal – Finding Ikigai
- Branch – The Eggcorn
- The problem with reflections… – Finding Ikigai
- Sacred Grove – Family Matters
- Branch Out – damswriter
- Leaves And Branches – Susan Rushton
- Even So – Live Like It Matters
- pensitivity101Daily Post Prompt: 6th March
- Light & lifeCompassion is as compassion does.
- The Cat ChroniclesDaily Feline Prompt: Feline Branch
- Like the Hare – Writing With Some Ink and a Hammer
- Branch – wordsareallihavesite
- Happy Cardinal – AHAmoments
- Branching Out – This, That, and The Other
- Does writing excuse watching?branch
- Homage. – KerDoodle Village
- Who I amDaily Prompt/ One Word Prompt
- Awl and ScribeBranch
- Relax–Fly me beyond the moon
- A Branch of the Railroad – Virtual Veyot
- Chronicles of an Anglo SwissBranch
- ROOT, TREE AND BRANCH – SERENDIPITY
- Older Ideas? – emotionsoflife2016
- Pretty |
- Marry Me – I’m a Writer, Yes, I Am!
- Piper’s AdventuresBranch: Growing of the Senses
- Bear Paws and Branches – writelee.com
- Bear Paws and Branches – writelee.com
- Flowers and BreezesBranch
- Grainy purple flowers showered by spots of light – Bird Flight
- Branching IN! – workthatbodyup
- Branches from the heaven above… – Hop in with Anjali
- Step Away from the Ledge – Author Flawed to Perfection
- What Am I Doing? – Zeckrombryan
- Haiku: BRANCH – Personal Evolution
- Write Here: Write NowRoots and Branches
- rapturous love #flash fiction – Short Prose
- NaikanlensBranching Paths
- Branch – Prompt and Circumstance
- Recollection – Megha’s World
- Yo-Yo Ma on Successful Creative Collaboration – Wells Baum
- How trees help you de-stress – Wells Baum
- Cusco in wires – Wells Baum
- A Dull, Dull Tree – corpse of a spider
- To spread the fragrance of hope… – சுழல்கள்/Suzhalgal
- My Story – M.S Poetry
- The ravings of the dreamers – Sarahs Crazy Mind
- The Branch of Regret
- Branch — Prompts – The Daily Post – Blue Sky Days 365
- Argument – Unoriginal (love) noteS
- The Christian CrocheterTry new things!
- Winter Tales – Just Writing!
- Live life; make meaning.Growing Down
- When a reader who writes packs for travel. – Ideas.Become.Words
- Morning glories – ….Bilocalalia….
- TAKE THEM DOWN – lovenlosses
- Uprooted – ….Bilocalalia….
- Online Writing Job Opportunity! – Bernard’s Book Blog
- Scrambled, Not Fried3/6 haiku
- DEW DROPS – Poetry talks
- Branch – Liz Charnes
- Wallie’s WentletrapRavens in Reflection
- KO Rural Mad As Hell Blogbutterfly bush in snow
- T- minus 56 Days. – The Way Within
- lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-BrownFruitless
- Branch|Hawks – Writing On Hawks Wings
- Branch – Spiritual Fruit Without Religion
- Sleepwalker, where did you go – Finally Unchained
- Science TravelerThe Fascinating Mangrove Salt Marsh Snakes of Sanibel
- tornin2’s BlogOut on a limb
- Close Call – The Psalmist
- Dead – Soliloquy of the Streets
- Hot White SnowBranches for Breaks
- Le Meilleur – Sanctus Monstrum
- Branch – minzkhaitan
- KO Rural Mad As Hell Blogbranch in snow
- Muse of the Day – Everyday Strange
- Drawing – This Girl’s Got Curves
- MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHOBranch
- Chameleon – The Reckoning
- constant VARIABLEBranch
- Designer SophisticateLike a mighty oak.
- ….on pets and prisoners…..branchin’ out
- ‘I wish I was a little bit smaller’ – Wells Baum
- Blackberry bush – Ta An Speaks
- Book Review – Travels with Epicurus – Quaint Revival
- Night – Ta An Speaks
- Bare – Ta An Speaks
- The Branch – Ray’s Story
- Cimmerian SentimentTurf Therapy – Part 19 – Haven (NSFW)